Monday 27 August 2012

BANANA AND CHERRY LOAF

BANANA AND CHERRY LOAF

When Doreen mentioned she wanted to make her own banana loaf again I immediately asked her for the recipe for I've had difficulty in the past finding one for banana loaf that worked.
Although Doreen's recipe includes cherries I left them out. As usual when baking a cake I used wholemeal self-raising flour.
I also doubled up the quanity of ingredients and made two loaves, the first of which Howard and I ate warm straight away.
It was absolutely delicious so I suspect the second loaf will be ate very quickly. I'm not surprised that Doreen does the same......

"I need to make two each time as whenever I made one it went so quickly, it was virtually gone before it had time to cool.
You are very welcome to have a go at the Banana Loaf, I’ve never had a problem making it other than it killing my arms mixing the ingredients, not sure how it will turn out with wholemeal flour but its worth a try.
This was one of my mum’s recipes that my sister copied for me many years ago and is written on a rather scrappy bit of paper."

Ingredients

4oz Glazed cherries, washed and chopped (I leave the cherries out as I don’t like glazed cherries)
2 Ripe bananas
8oz Self raising flour
Pinch of salt
6oz Light soft brown sugar
4oz Soft margarine (I’ve used butter before)
2 Large eggs, beaten

Pre-heat oven – Gas 3 (325F/160C)
2lb Loaf tin
Brush tin with melted fat/margarine and line base with a piece of greaseproof paper cut to fit and greased.

Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl, add margarine, sugar, beaten egg and chopped cherries.
Peel and mash bananas with a fork then add them to the mix as well.
Using a wooden spoon (preferable), stir the ingredients together (makes my arm ache) and when combined beat for a minute or two to incorporate some air.
Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, spread the surface level then hollow it out slightly.
Bake loaf on the middle shelf of the oven for 1¼ to 1½ hours or until a warmed skewer or sharp knife inserts into the loaf and comes out clean.
Leave loaf in tin to cool for about 15 minutes then turn it out onto a rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.