Monday 27 August 2012

LAZY LOAF

LAZY LOAF

Yesterday I made a loaf of soda bread using Waitrose's Organic Malted Grain Bread Flour for the first time. However I found that not only did I not like the taste, but it's a flour which is so full of wheatflakes, bran and malt that it produces a loaf which is too dense in its texture for my liking.
This became apparent from the time I turned the dough out onto the cast iron skillet for although it rose quickly, it didn't rise much. Nor did baking the loaf increase it's lightness therefore I ended up with a heavy bread which tasted strongly of malt - not one of my favourite flavours.

Wasteing a bag of flour doesn't appeal to me though. Therefore I intend to use it in Nigella's Lawson's recipe for bread made with muesli for when I made this loaf in the past I found that the taste of the bread was mainly determined by the muesli rather than the flour.

Ingredients

200 grams of muesli
325 grams wholemeal bread flour
1 x 6 gram sachet of easyblend yeast
1 teaspoon of salt
250 ml of skimmed milk
250 ml of water

Mix the muesli, flour, yeast and salt in a bowl.
Pour in the milk and water then stir to mix.
It will be like a thick porridge.
Transfer to a greased 2lb loaf tin.
Place in a cold oven immediatedly turning the oven up to 180 degrees centigrade/gas mark 4.
Bake for one hour until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
Although this is a dense loaf it makes excellent toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.