Monday 27 August 2012

DOREEN'S FAMILY GINGER CAKE

DOREEN'S FAMILY GINGER CAKE

"I found the recipe tucked inside one of my cookery books. It is handwritten and I'm not sure whose handwriting it is as the style is old fashioned so it could be one of my Auntie Mary's recipes, I know it's wasn't written by my mother although it could be one of her recipes as Mary and her were sisters, so who knows."
I love recipes with a history

Ingredients

12oz Self-raising flour
6oz Sugar
4oz Margarine or Butter
1 Egg
1 Cup of milk
1 ½ Teaspoons of Ginger
1 Teaspoon of Mixed Spice
1 Tablespoon of Golden Syrup
Optional 2oz Sultanas/Raisins

Beat egg and milk together.
Cream butter and sugar together and mix in syrup.
Mix flour and spices together.
Gradually add flour and beaten egg/milk to butter mix mixing thoroughly.
Fold Sultanas/Raisins into mix.
Pour mix into a shallow square well greased tin (7 inch).
Cook in a moderate oven (350-375F / Gas 4) on the middle shelf for approximately 1 hour or until golden brown.
Turn out to cool and cut into squares – sprinkle with caster sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.