Monday 27 August 2012

TRADITIONAL WHITE LOAF

TRADITIONAL WHITE LOAF

Although it has been suggested to me in the past that I buy an electric bread maker, I know that it would take all the enjoyment out of breadmaking for me.
Working with yeast may be a lengthy process but seeing the dough rise is an important aspect of it. Kneading the dough by hand is too labourious though, so I use my food processer for this step.
This is the recipe I've always used for a plain white loaf. I've tried replacing the milk with water but found that the bread lost it's rich taste.
Traditionally butter is used rather than vegetable oil but I use sunflower oil as it's lower in fat.

Ingredients

500 grams white bread flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of quick yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
300 ml of warm water
1 tablespoon of sunflower oil

Put all the dry ingredients in a food processer and pulse until blended.
Add the oil to the water, turn on the food processor and pour the oil/water blend into the processor until the mixture forms a dough. Continue to process until a smooth pliable ball is reached.
Remove the dough from the food processor, place it in a bowl covered with a teatowel and leave in a warm draught-free place until it doubles in size.
Return the dough to the food processer and knead briefly.
The dough should be shaped then placed in a greased 2lb loaf tin to rise for 25 - 30 minutes.
Place in an oven preheated to 220 degrees centigrade/gas mark 7 and bake for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.